Chicago Defender Charities, Inc. Bud Billiken® Scholarship Program 2016-2017
Scholarship Packet with all required documents must be submitted by Friday, May 12, 2017.
As part of our ongoing commitment to the advancement of education in the African American community, the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc. is proud to introduce the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc. Bud Billiken® Scholarship Program. This scholarship is designed to encourage students to further their education in an effort to advance the state of the communities in which they live. It is our belief that by investing in the education of our youth today, they will have a greater potential to positively impact their communities in the future.
Each applicant must:
- Be a United States Citizen
- Resident of Illinois
- Possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.6/4.0 scale
- Be a high school senior graduating this year
- Submit a 500 word essay on, “What is the importance of community service?”
- Demonstrate financial need
All applications must be accompanied by the following documentation:
- Most recent grade report/transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
Must include academic and personal (non relative)
- Proof of forty hours of community service
- Financial Aid Award Letter (FAAL) or Student Award Report (SAR)
- Proof of acceptance to a college/university (course schedule/ admission letter).
- Proof of financial status/income (most recent tax return / SSI, public aid or unemployment)
Student applications are evaluated based on financial need and academic achievement.
Members and relatives of the following are not allowed to participate in the scholarship program.
- Employees of the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.
- Members of the Board of Directors of the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.
- Contractors of and with the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.
- Vendors of and with the Chicago Defender Charities, Inc.